We see it everywhere these days, with names like Opal, Galaxy, Oil Spill and Sunset. What am I talking about? Unicorn Hair Color.
Becoming much more accepted and commonplace in mainstream society, you may have asked yourself, "Could I be a purple haired princess/prince, too?" The answer is, Yes.
This is EVERYTHING you need to know before you take the jump off the high dive into depths of rainbow fantasies.
1. You will spend $$$ hundreds (as in multiple) of dollars making your dreams come true. This color is not for the faint of heart or thin of wallet. Your stylist will likely book out 1/2 - entire day (or multiple days, in some cases) to make your vision a reality, time that they could have booked other clients, will be dedicated to you so expect to pay for that cost.
2. Take Home Products are Non-Negotiable. You just spent $Hundreds$ of dollars to transform yourself, PLEASE don't waste it all by using drugstore detergent on your mane. Please buy EVERYTHING your stylist suggests (or at the very minimum, Shampoo and Conditioner, and a heat protectant if you use hot tools) Look for these Keywords on the back of your product labels: Sulphate Free, Paraben Free, Uv and Thermal Protection. If you skip this step, you will watch all your well spent dollars wash down the drain.
3. The Color WILL Fade. Fast :/ Its not the same kind of hair color as aunt Sally’s root touch up, it stains the top of your hair shaft without penetrating, etc. etc. Hairstylist Speak etc. Its going to fade. Very fast.
It will fade from hot water. Get used to ice COLD showers.
Hot styling tools. Hello natural texture! If you use hot tools regularly, use no higher than 350 degrees.
UV rays. Wear a hat when in direct sunlight for long periods of time.
Breathing (just kidding)
If you get a pastel color, it will last a maximum of 5-8 washes. Think of that when choosing your desired color, maybe start more vibrant so it fades into your dream pastel.
Wash your hair a maximum of 1x every 5 days for your color to last. Dry Shampoo is your new best friend.
4. Your hair MUST be pre-lightened to absorb Vivid Colors. That's Hairstylist talk for Bleach. The color will not take on your hair without first opening the cuticle with lightener. Expect it to take multiple sessions to be light enough for some colors (pastel) if your hair is naturally very dark or has been colored previously.
sidenote: if your hair has been colored at home, or lightened previously and colored over with a darker color, your stylist may not be able to give you your dream color immediately. Make sure you are 100% honest with your stylist about EVERYTHING that has been put on your hair for the last 2-5 years so you don’t end up with a very costly mess on your head.
5. Use Deep Conditioner Weekly. Your hair will thank you, trust me!
6. To Maintain your look, schedule with your stylist every 2-6 weeks for color refreshing glosses, products and root touches. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint.
7. Embrace the Fade. With proper maintenance (i.e. following all the rules above) your hair will fade on tone and the colors will stay clear for up to 20 washes! Every wash reveals a new color so love it.
Still feeling the need to transform yourself?! I don't blame you! When it comes to Hair Color, you should express yourself any way you see fit! Hair is the crown you never take off, your ultimate accessory, and a representation of Your True Self. So go on, with your bad unicorn self.. and send me pictures!